Thursday, December 25, 2014

[KontentMachine] The Most Important Onpage SEO Stuff

About onsite SEO...

I'll try and cover as much as I can here.

Title Tags

This is THE MOST important thing (after the content) you need to take care of.

There is no set number of characters that you need to keep. Here is how I personally do that:

    1. Try to keep it less than 70 characters long.
    2. Start with my keyword if possible.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that you are not doing it just for the search engines. People will actually see it and you want them to click on your links.

You've heard the expression "It's all about the title" Well, it's true. You have to write such a title that people will want to read the rest.

Remember that I told you "It's not about SEO"?  That's one of those things and at the same time... you will have to maintain that balance between "interesting" and "SEO friendly".  

I don't recommend MOZ's philosophy but they offer pretty awesome tools. Here you will find their FREE tool for previewing what your title will like like in Google.

Check it out, it's pretty useful.



URLs

It's not SUPER important to include the keyword in the URL anymore. It's good if you can but more importantly ensure that the URL structure shows your website's structure.


What do I mean by that?


Well, if you have a gaming blog and you are doing a review on "The Last of Us" (a FANTASTIC game, by the way :) ) you want the URL of the review to be something like this:

http://mybadassgamesreviews/ps3/the-last-of-us-review

...or something similar. A URL like:

http://mybadassgamereviews/t-12355/?p=567 is a big NO NO

You want the search engines to see your URL and understand what it's about.

Luckily we can easily do that in Wordpress (you are using wordpress, aren't you?). What I usually do for smaller websites (niche sites) is go to Settings -> Permalinks and just select the fifth one (Post name).

However, if you website is a bigger one you might want to include the category too. In that case:


- Select the last option ("Custom Structure") and paste that in the text field

/%category%/%postname%

Click "Save Changes" and you are ready to go.

It's not that complicated but it's SUPER IMPORTANT.

Now go and fix that. Next time we continue with the rest of the onpage elements you need to take care of.

Georgi/%middlename%/Georgiev

P.S. I promised you a cool tutorial but I'm still searching for it. I didn't forget, I'll send it to you.

In the mean time, here's a question for you.

"Google wants you to write quality content. What is that and how does Google measure quality?"


I guarantee it's not what you think it is.

P.P.S. Are you crafting niche websites? You know that you can make a good living out of just 5 of those and they don't take long to build. Right?

I know a lot of our clients use KontentMachine to promote niche sites so I thought I'll send you something:

Niche Site Projects

Spencer has recorded EVERYTHING on his blog (including the URLs). I highly recommend that you follow his posts. You will learn a lot.

Hauptstrasse 63
Hochdorf-Assenheim Hochdorf-Assenheim 67126
GERMANY
Unsubscribe | Change Subscriber Options

No comments:

Post a Comment